The National Women’s Soccer League says the Boston Breakers will cease operations in advance of the 2018 season.
The league announced the move Sunday.
There had been widespread rumors that an investor or group of investors might step forward to save the team. Fans who bought tickets for the upcoming season will be given full refunds, the league said.
The league now embarks on its sixth season with nine teams. Earlier this year, FC Kansas City also folded but its players went to a new team in Salt Lake City associated with the Major League Soccer team Real Salt Lake.
The league will hold a dispersal draft on Tuesday to move Breakers’ players to new teams. A weighted draw for the draft will be held on Monday. Players are allowed to opt out of the draft.